Saturday, February 18, 2006

Bright


In my last post I wanted to know the origin of my fathers Yiddish name Feivel. My aunt Sandra sent our family tree and made a notation of who my father was named after. I did some research on the internet and found good information about the name Feivel. I found this link http://jewishwebindex.com/names.htm it is a fantastic bit of information about the origin of many Jewish names.

Here is some information about the name Feivel: Feivel - Uri, Shraga and Phoebus (of which Feivish and Feivel are yiddishized corruptions) all mean basically 'bright', 'shining', 'light'. "Fayvush or Faivel are the kinnuim of Shraga. Fayvush is an ancient Jewish name whose origin was the Latin vivus (living, alive), a loan translation (calque) from Hebrew chaim (life). Later the name Fayvush was erroneously considered to be a derivation from Phoebus, god of the sun--consequently Fayvish became the kinnui not only for the Biblical Hebrew name Uri (light) but for the Aramaic name Shraga (candle) in the Rabbinic period. Folk legends along with true and false etymologies gave rise to these interwoven associations between Hebrew name and kinnui."




So there you go his Yiddish name means light, bright... I also saw the word brilliant associated with this name as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home