Monday, March 06, 2006

I'd Rather Be Dancing


When I was a child, holding my father's hand, spending time with him at the local deli or walking through town, people would say hello. Dad's friends would recall memories of their teenage years and times they spent together. My father was a real crackerjack and talented at many things such as dance and sports. My father also loved books and movies. One of his favorite movies was American in Paris with Gene Kelly. Dad also loved Fred Astaire. I will have to ask how my father actually learned how to do these dances (swing dances) people were so amazed to see.




After Dad passed away my aunt received this letter from some old friends. I suppose they are talking about 1949 or 1950 or so when they were in high school and my father was in college.


Dear Sandra,

Burnet and I are so sorry we didn't get to see you when you were here. We wanted to tell you in person how sorry we are about Philip's death. He was a big part of Charleston, and we always enjoyed seeing him.

My first memory of Philip was at an AZA/BBG convention in Savannah. I was in high school, and he and a group of boys from Charleston came over. They were probably in college then. We were at the AA Synagogue for an event, and the entire group stopped dancing, and made a big
circle around Philip and his partner in order to watch him dance. We had never seen anyone dance like that. Of course, today everyone dances like that, but then, it was amazing.

I had the opportunity to work with him when I worked for Dr. [name withheld]. Philip was their accountant, and I worked with him for the five years I was there. He was so bright and on top of things.

He will truly be missed in this community. We send you our deepest sympathies.


I know my Dad is in heaven now and dancing on a cloud. And yes Dad, I am writing this blog about you. You are welcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home